Monday, March 10, 2014

What Goes into Soap Cake Making

Soap cake making definitely takes more time and requires more attention to details and planning, pretty much like baking a real special occasion cake!  It's so time consuming plus the fact that people always think it's too pretty to use that makes me not wanting to do more often.  The easiest soap cake is done all in one step, pour the cake and make enough soap batter to set aside for pipping.
But then you see the bare sides when you cut into slices.
I wanted to try more like a real decorated cake, make the body first then pipe the whole entire outside.  In this case I cannot do it in one step.  I have to pour the cake body first, have it firm enough to take it out of the mold the next day.
 I really like this marble look, felt bad to move on to the 2nd stage of covering it up with "frosting".  But everything was ready and waiting to go.  At least I took some pictures before I covered it up.
 Unfortunately I underestimated the amount of frosting I need (shows you baking is not my thing, LOL).  This 2 step project soon became 3 steps...


I meant to pipe rosettes all over the cake sides and top but the pipping tip I have is too big for the job.  It looks so easy watching youtube videos of pastry chefs decorating their cakes but when I actually did it myself... oh boy.
Dilema when cutting, couldn't see where to cut, had to constantly look under the cake to find the inner points of the "petal" shaped cake.  Drawing cut lines on top of all that pipping is proven difficult.  It looks very pretty, but I don't know if I would decorate a cake this way anymore.  I have to agree with my husband, it is so not practical!

13 comments:

  1. Sooooo pretty though...those strawberries look real!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know all too well what you are going through. I only do them for special occasions for families. I don't make them to sell.... there isn't enough money for the time it takes. Yours is beautiful and whom ever is lucky enough to get a slice will be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, that look even better than some real cakes I've seen. And your plate for your cake display is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do this all the time. Pre cut the cake. Sit it on top of a cake pan that is slightly smaller than the soap. Then when you have devorated all you have to do is run a piece of cotton or dental floss through the piping. Easy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea! Why didn't I think of that! Thank you so much!

      Delete
  5. Wow! That is amazing. I think the strawberries look so great on top.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a fine job Emily! It is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woooooo, finger licking good :) and it is seriously dangerous!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why not use parchment paper underneath to draw "guidelines" on with a pencil? Then, decorate, cut along the guidelines, and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis